Navigating Motherhood: Garrett’s Hospital Stay Recap

December 31, 2021 – January 1, 2022

A New Year’s Eve we’ll never forget…

Let’s start from the beginning – for those of you that don’t know, Garrett is my 5 month old son. My husband and I tried to get pregnant for TWO YEARS and then were finally blessed with this sweet boy. He is the light of our lives and we would do ANYTHING for him. I was honestly a little scared to become a mom, but it’s been the most amazing experience of my life!

Now, onto what was hands down the SCAREIST experience of my life…

Garrett had been sick for about a week. Nothing crazy (so I thought), he had a cough that sounded rough and congestions. So, I took him to the predication and found out he had Bronchiolitis. There’s nothing we could do for it, besides ride it out and let it run its course for 7-14 days.

His pediatrician gave us a few things to look out for and told us if we spotted them, to take him to the Children’s Hospital Urgent Care.

So, it’s New Year’s Eve. Greg and I were sitting on the couch watching tv, talking about the Bearcat game that was going to be on later. I was holding Garrett while he took a nap and that’s when I noticed…

He was breathing heavier than before and his stomach looked like it was being sucked in a little bit when he inhaled (two things his pediatrician told us to look out for).

I timed his breaths a few times and said “I think we need to take him to the hospital”. So, we packed his diaper bag and off we went.

Now, I’m not someone who loves to go to the doctor. I generally tend to avoid it as often as possible, unless I think it’s really necessary. So, the thought of taking my baby to the hospital SCARED me before we even got there.

We pulled into the Emergency Room / Urgent Care Parking Garage and went inside. We checked into Urgent Care, not expecting to be taken back right away because it was PACKED.

Imagine our surprise when immediately after we checked in, a nurse started monitoring Garrett’s oxygen and took us back to a room.

At first, we were taken to a room that looked like a doctor’s office. So, I was only minimally alarmed. But then, we were told we needed to move rooms. That’s when shit got real…

We were taken back to a room that looked like it was out of an “RSV Kills” article. It was a big bay with oxygen tanks, monitors, machines, and other medical equipment everywhere. In the middle of the room and all of the equipment was a clear bassinet with wires and monitors connected to it.

Garret was taken from us and put in the crib with nurses swarming him, attaching him to monitors, and running tests while Greg and I stood there, helpless, not knowing what was going on.

We were instructed to stand off to the side, while nurses yelled over the commotion to ask us questions. I was squeezing Greg’s hand with all my might while crying. Then, a nurse called him over to get more information, I think I was too hysterical for them to ask for information.

While Greg gave the nurse information, another nurse came and stood with me to help explain what was going on and calm me down.

Once the nurses were finished running tests and sucking Garrett’s snot, I was allowed to hold him and calm him down. Then we were moved to a room where they could monitor Garrett’s oxygen

When we were in the ED room, Garrett’s oxygen levels kept dropping below 90. We were instructed that this wasn’t necessarily bad, but the hospital is conservative and won’t let babies leave if their levels won’t stay about 90. Sooo, we were admitted (Happy New Year to us lol).

We were transported up to a hospital room where Garrett would be monitored overnight. We were told he needed to be able to keep his oxygen about 90 for 6 hours (without the oxygen tube) and be off the wall suction for 2 bulb suctions in a row.

Throughout Garrett’s monitoring, we also found out he had COVID, an ear infection, and acute pneumonia. Poor kid caught everything under the sun!

It was a very long, sleepless, night but THANKFULLY he improved and we were able to go home the next day! YAY!

That day was the SCARIEST day of my life and we are so thankful he is okay.

I keep trying to look on the bright side. That we noticed he needed care and were able to take him to the hospital. That he was seen right away and that we live close to the #1 Children’s Hospital in the nation. And, remind myself that it’s going to be a memory we look back on and (maybe) laugh about one day?

Please know, if your mom gut is telling you something – LISTEN!! You know what your baby needs. Whether that be to go to the doctor/hospital, be snuggled to sleep, be kept home, or whatever. YOU know your baby better than anyone, listen to your gut and trust yourself to do what’s best <3.

I almost didn’t write about this, mostly because I try to be positive as much as possible, but I NEEDED to get it off my chest and thought, maybe, just maybe some other mommas needed to hear this too.

Want to learn more about my story? Join the Eat. Hustle. Thrive. Community!

Success! You're on the list. Happy Thriving!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: